Sunday, August 18, 2013

Week 1 of 13: 11 miles in 1:53

Second marathon, here goes nothing!

I've been so wrapped up in biking and doing speedwork that I forgot I had a marathon coming up (or didn't want to face it).  In less than a month I've got a half-marathon and two 100 mile bike events, then the marathon.  See, no real need to acknowledge it yet.

Since I started blogging last year to account for marathon training I figured I should do it again to compare.  I unfortunately didn't run 11 miles at all during training last year, so I've got no comparison this week.  I did run 10 miles in 1:45 and 12 miles in 2:20, that being said I'm doing better! :)

I decided to look at my long runs differently than last year.  Last year I was pushing my limits just to see if I could in fact do it.  Now that I know I can, I am much more relaxed and don't stress out about the long runs.  

Friday was one of my best friend's weddings, so I needed to run 11 in the morning.  Because there was no chance I was running Saturday am.  I woke up at 6, filled my CamelBak, turned on my garmin and was out the door.

Living in a hilly area provides great interval training during my easy, long runs.  I decided any pace would be ok, but given that I want to run a half next month under 2 I couldn't run at a 12-13 minute pace.  I settled in around a 10-10:30 pace, which is now a lot easier than it was last year.

This was a great run and wasn't bad.  When I started training last year, I really felt my life was taking a hit with all the training.  Training has now become an ordinary workout schedule.  I exercise 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day.

This year I also decided to watch my caloric intake.  I don't want to lose weight, but I want to make sure I'm no overeating my 11 mile runs.  Because let me tell you, after a 20 mile run I think about food the last 5 miles.  I also eat like there is no tomorrow when I return, I just don't need to gain a pound per additional mile!

3 months till to go, marathon under 4:30!! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment