Monday, September 16, 2013

Week 5 of 13: 13.1 in 2:09:57!

I've entered the three week span in September where every weekend I have a bike tour or run.  I ended up sandwiching a half between two century rides.  After killing the first century ride last weekend, this weekend was the half.

In between all of these events, I've been doing yoga, modified strength training, and minimal running and biking so my body doesn't fall apart.  Well, my body had other ideas...

While I was resting, I picked up a funky cold.  A funky cold that had me feeling off on Thursday, weird on Friday, and so bad Saturday night I didn't think I'd be running the half.  I was very upset, but realized this was only a training run for the marathon and that there would be other runs.  I was so sad that I wouldn't have a new medal from a race.  I know this sounds funny, but it's almost what you train for--the race experience.  The awesome shirts and medals don't hurt either.  :)

I hydrated a lot, took the really good, expensive Mucinex, and took Afrin (so I could breathe).  I mapped out what I'd wear, and if I went and what time I would wake up.  I was in bed by 8 on Saturday, and passed out.

I woke up at 5 on Sunday morning, and must've had an overnight miracle.  I could breathe, and decided I was doing the half!  I ate, pulled all of my stuff together and went to meet my friend who was also doing the half.

It was so early when we headed to Philly the sun was rising.

And, it was very picture worthy:




By the time we parked and figured out where we belonged, there were 15 minutes till the race started.  We got our token picture while waiting for the porta-potties.  We also heard the race start and saw corrals moving up, as we were in line.  We missed our corral by about 5 minutes, so we just popped in with another group and started running.


Initially our plan was to stick together.  My goal was under 2, even though I listed on my registration that I'd be done in 1:50.  My running buddy was shooting for 1:50.  

Now, with all of this sickness I wasn't too sure how my body was going to respond.  I had my Garmin and planned to maintain pace per mile to make my sub 2 half marathon happen.  What I forgot to do was change my Garmin to pace instead of speed.  I used it last week during the century ride, and neglected to change it back.  So as we were running it was saying what I thought was a 6, 6.5, and 7 minute pace.  I knew this was way off and I was really annoyed it wasn't cooperating.  Then it hit me, this was the equivalent of the speed on a bike, not my running pace that I wanted, and really needed.

The first 3 miles I was maintaining my 9 minute pace, then I lost my running buddy and started to experience chest pain.  Chest pain that caused me to walk at least a minute for each of the remaining 10 miles.

This was NOT what I had planned or hoped for and it was really frustrating.  As I would hit each mile I started calculating out what speed I'd need to run to finish under 2, and I watched it slowly drift away.  Just as I thought in my mind I had it, i'd have horrible pain that would induce walking so I could breathe.

At this point I just kept moving and breathing as I needed to finish this run.  I came up to mile 13 and just booked it, I was rubbing my chest the entire time trying to fix my breathing as I sprinted uphill to the finish surrounded by a TON of people.  I ran under the clock as my Garmin read 2:09:57.  Not exactly what I had hoped for, but I did still PR.  

My only frustration is that had I not walked, I know for a fact I would've been able to run the half under 2.  With everything else in life, things happen and you just have to go with the flow.

I then found my parents and sister at the finish.


I probably shouldn't have run yesterday because today I'm not feeling so hot.  I now have an additional things to mark off on my running checklist:  running a half marathon with a cold.

If nothing else, I think I've earned some running credential for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment