Monday, October 21, 2013

Week 8 of 13: 17.5 miles and a Duathlon

So after a week where I think I rested, I decided to go crazy and do a long run and a duathlon.

Yes, this makes sense.  I pushed off the 18 mile run from Sunday to Friday, then didn't want to miss the duathlon.

I was supposed to run 18 miles, but managed to get 17.5 in.  I think I ran it in 3:15ish (I should probably check out my garmin).  After the weekends of bike events and being sick I was happy just to complete 17.5 having not run in 3 weeks since the half marathon, where I was in fact really sick.

My issue with this run was my feet.  I broke my sesamoids years ago and also had turf toe aka everything hurt and I couldn't walk.  I was eating Advil like candy.  Anyway, anytime I get foot pain I immediately send myself to the broken sesamoids and taking 2 months off of running.  I don't want to go back to that!

That day I came back and rested, ate, and headed back to my friends in Dover.  Why, you ask?  Because I was doing my FIRST duathlon the next day.  And while this may sound crazy, it was only $15.  $15 for a race of any kind is a steal, so if it took me 5 hours it was still worth it.

The duathlon consisted of a 5k, 10 mile bike, and a 5k.  Now, typically for duathlons and triathlons you train and do brick workouts, which are two sports back to back.  Once or two within the past 4 months I've run then biked, or biked then run.  But, that was only twice.  Given that I ran 17.5 less than 24 hours before I didn't know how I'd feel.  I initially thought 1:30 would be feasible, then adjusted as time went on to 1:45.  I ran the first 5k in 29 mins (more than normal, but ok with my long run before), I have no idea what I did the 10 mile bike in or the last 5k.  I did finish in 1:43 though, which I thought was decent considering everything else.

And I got this fun shirt!



After I got home from the duathlon I immediately started googling my issue, that had gotten worse.  I mean, doesn't everybody?  Apparently not, my friends and family always joke I trust google a bit too much.  I have to say google has been good to me.  As a single woman it's helped me fix, repair, and purchase with greater finesse than any opinion I could've asked for!

What I discovered was that I had plantar fasciitis that had started or was flaring up.  This was confirmed by my chiropractor the next day.  All week I took it easy and rolled my foot across frozen water bottles.  Blehh..

No comments:

Post a Comment