Sunday, July 29, 2012

Week 2 of 18: 7 miles in 1:18

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"I didn't feel like googling this quote to death to figure out who said this first- so hats off to Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky

This pretty much sums up my week.  I worked 6 days this week which for most people is normal or a day extra.  Since I'm off Friday during the summer, this was a lonnnnng week.  Working Monday through Saturday night equals tired, beat, and drained.

I was very proud of myself given my long schedule and training.  I managed to run 4 times and fit in bodypump.  I also started my healthy marathon eating, which I do think has helped (when I follow it).

All of my short 3 mile run's this week were in the 9-9.5 minute mile range, and the knee/hip pain isn't as bad as it's been.  I was doing well.

I knew working 6 days left only one day to run 7, the dreaded early Sunday morning run...

I was a total old lady and fell asleep way too early last night trying to watch the Olympics (even though I already knew who won- boo).  I was up at 6 and got ready to go- forgetting to eat anything or bring a gel.  I did however, remember my gps watch, iphone, ear buds, and water- so that was a plus.

I started off the first mile, and for some reason mile 1 of 1 or 1 of 1,000 is always the most difficult.  It's almost as though my body is hibernating and there's no way it's moving at that pace.  As I started, I thought through what I had eaten yesterday.  Well..given that my job is running a non-profit hotel esque place, food options are usually pre-packaged unless a meal group is in to cook.

So my food from yesterday:
  • 100 Calorie awful fake sugar breakfast bar
  • Eggs
  • Breakfast potatoes
  • Roll with butter (I think)
  • 3 delicious chocolate chip cookies
  • 2 bottles of water
  • 1 pre-packaged tuna salad with crackers
  • Chobani apple greek yogurt
  • Leftover peas,rice,chicken combo
  • Skinny cow ice cream
And this is the reason, I guarantee, my run wasn't as spectacular as I would've hoped.  I ran for about 3 miles before the knee pain kicked back in.  So out of 7 miles I probably walked 7 times- which in my mind will attribute to my slower time.  Due to the knee pain and humidity my mind games kicked in...early.


Today's game was the smile test.  And if i calculated correctly, today was at 98%.  There were thankfully enough people that I passed throughout this run that I could smile at, and pretend 7 miles was a nice, comfy run- and they too should do it- hmm maybe not.  Everyone that looked my way received a smile- now whether or not they smiled back because I was sweaty, red, and pretty nasty, or just being nice is TBD.  Every single man, woman, and child smiled back- except for the woman who gave me the stink eye- I'll let her slide and pretend she needed sunglasses.


7 miles done in a 11:17 pace (including walk breaks).  Chocolate milk after, and currently ice on the knee. 


Best feeling of all: Feeling so accomplished at 8:10am!  Or maybe the creepy man who told me I looked great after finishing all sweaty, stinky, nasty, and red- or maybe NOT!


16 weeks remain.  Week 2 0f 18: DONE!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment