Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week 14 of 18:18 miles..scratch that, 5 miles..

I am really slacking on these entries, but I have a pretty good reason.  The week before last I was still sick, and super busy.  My head cold from hell still had a grip on me and there wasn't much I could do.

I managed one 5 mile run the entire week.  I felt ok during the run, but the next day I think it worsened my symptoms.  By Thursday of that week and having been sick for over a week, I decided the Dr. was in order.  My doctor likes to know you've waited a week plus with a cold to prescribe antibiotics.  So as soon as that week arrived, I was there.

Just as I suspected I had a sinus infection.  Whenever I get a head cold, it immediately turns into a sinus infection.  Since I moved to Delaware this was been the case, without fail.  I'll just blame Delaware for being dirty. :)

I started antibiotics Thursday night and was getting antsy because I had missed two decent sized runs before my 20 miler.  I was starting to freak that my weeks of training would be lost! :(  I talked to my running mentor and she assured me I would be fine.  I had been training long enough and hard enough before getting sick- there was nothing to worry about, but avoiding additional illness and injury.  This was was just the glimmer of hope I needed during the week.

I had taken off on Friday months prior to run my 18, and may have been able to, and then it rained.  Trying to be a responsible adult I knew running 18 in cold and rain would only worsen my symptoms and delay my training, so I didn't run.  I decided to take off Monday as well- to run my 18!

Aside from being sick, taking sick days, and taking vacation days I also had a big weekend ahead of me.  UD homecoming and an event for a young professionals group I joined that benefits the Ronald McDonald House.  I needed to be healthy and ok to be outside two days and drinking.

UD Homecoming went well, definitely not as crazy and wild as we were last year- we appear to have gotten old this year.  Last year we acted like we were 18 again, this year our age was starting to show.  I knew I needed to be ok for my event Sunday and my 18 miler, so I watched what I was drinking.  Last year about 4 of us slept over at a friends, this year just one person did.  This was best  for me though with my event and run lingering.

Sunday's event was perfect, weather was great, great turnout, and a lot of money raised for the House!

So Monday I headed out for my 18 mile run not knowing what to expect.  I had run two 5 milers in a matter of 10 days.  I was sick for 10ish days, and just had a weekend with beer.

I felt ok, not phenomenal, but ok.  I was super tight- not a shocker I had been laying around for quite awhile.  I didn't want to really screw myself up, so I ran 12.  Given all the factors I felt this was ok.

Less than a month to go!!




No comments:

Post a Comment