Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week 15 of 18: 20 miles in 3:59:50

Well I did it, the peak of training is now done.  How crazy is that?!

This week was a 40 mile week in total according to Hal Higdon's Novice Marathon Training (which i'd totally use again and recommend to any first timers).  I was scheduled to run 5,10, 5 and the scary 20!! ahhh 20 miles!!

Since I ran 12 on Monday (the should've been 18 from a week prior), I didn't run the 10 during the week.  I ran 5 on Wednesday after a work event, and was still a bit stiff and didn't want to hurt myself before 20.  So this week's total mileage was 37, I didn't do the other 5 mile run.

I was feeling good, and was ready for my 20!  Days prior I had been hydrating and documenting how many bottles of water and gatorade I was drinking.  This sounds weird, but it's the only way I can force myself to drink enough, it has to become a game! ha

The days prior my antibiotic was starting to aggravate my stomach, so there was only so much I could eat.  Knowing that I had 20 the next day I ate lots of rice cakes, a bag of (boil in bag) brown rice, and plain pasta.  If I couldn't carb load like I wanted, I'd at least carb load with some buttered carbs.

I had planned to run roughly 5 miles alone, meet my running mentor to run 10, then run 5 home.  I really liked the idea of breaking up the run.

I packed my clif shot bloks, filled my camelbak, turned on my watch, and started my music- I was doing 20!!  I was actually so excited (I know, who gets excited to run 20), that I kept waking up during the night, like a kid on Christmas.

At this point I didn't care how long it took, as long as 20 miles were complete.  As mileage increases, my speed decreases probably more than more seasoned runners.  I can run a 10 miler in a a bit less than a 10:30 minute mile.  If I kept this pace for 20 I would be done in roughly 3:30.  Given my past runs and being sick I was shooting for 4 hours (also allowing for walk breaks if I had any pain).

I ran 5.5 to my meet my running buddy, ran 10 miles at a conversational pace, and ran 5ish home.  I was having some hip itb tightness and the ball of my left foot aka my small bunion was acting crazy and was throbbing.  My walk breaks were to ease the pain and loosen up the hips.

My 5 miles home were, um, hell.  I ran 5 miles home essentially uphill- which seemed to be the aggravating factor for the hip and foot.  Had I run the entire run home I would've probably been done at 3:50, but I didn't want to injure myself more.  

I do believe I hit "the wall" around mile 19.5.  I had drastically slowed and literally wanted to curl into fetal position on the sidewalk.  After realizing this wasn't the best idea, I pushed ahead, keeping a close watch on the time.

I finished 20 miles in 3:59:50!!  Being that I'm super stubborn I refused to let my watch hit 4 hours. :)

After finishing this run I really questioned marathoners.  I just ran for 4 hours, who on earth chooses to do this?!?  I felt good though mentally, add another hour and my marathon would be done, I hope!!

I hobbled home and sank into a cold bath (while drinking chocolate milk), I don't add ice I think that would just put me over the top.  I then took a warm shower and laid around trying to nap.  I also made eggs with toast to refuel a bit.  And I put on my compression socks! Mmm, i love those things!

A day later I am hobbling, my shins and calves are uber tight, and my compression socks are still on!

Headed toward the start of week 16!! November 18 is coming so much faster.  I'm almost a legit marathoner!! ahhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment