Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Some things I've learned, so far..

After my 12 miles this past weekend, I feel like I've entered a new part of training.  The part of training where I don't care how long it takes, how nasty I look, or how horrible I feel.  If I have a run, it's happening during the week no matter the length of the run, the weather, or if I'm up for it.

Runner's High

The runner's high has taken on a new meaning.  After my 12 miler Saturday I showered, ate, and took a nap.  When I woke up I decided to check out some local places, since I haven't really explored my new area- even though I've lived here for a year.  Can't believe I've been a homeowner for a year!  So I was exploring and realized I passed the natural food store I had been looking for, so I needed to turn around.  I made a u-turn and thought the road was pretty narrow, but my car is small it would be fine.  Well if only my poor car had been fine.  As soon as i turned I thought I cleared the guardrail...and didn't.  I was going slow, so it wasn't an accident, I'd like to think of it as: an incident.  The right front bumper scraped as I turned. 

Now this is the interesting part:  normally this would happen and I would freak, not on Saturday.  I was definitely on my runner's high still and thought "oh well, I'll get it fixed eventually, no biggie".  They say the runner's high lowers anxiety levels drastically and the body reacts the same way it does to a drug induced high.  Can't say I ever was high, so I have no comparison- I prefer the free, natural way.  Now to avoid driving the next few weeks after my long runs should be interesting, I may not have a car by the time the marathon rolls around if I keep doing this!

Running Shorts

It's no shocker that I have issues with running shorts, when I have issues with everyday shorts.  Shorts no matter there shape, constantly move and shift and ride up- ohhh these hips.  I bought a pair of UnderArmour heat gear shorts that were 5 inches long, so I figured they'd be ok.  They weren't "booty shorts", so they shouldn't ride up, right?  Wrong.  I figured I'd wear them around the house and see where they ended up, within ten minutes I realized they were going back.  I exchanged the shorts for another brand of 7 inch spandex black shorts (because they keep you cooler than plain running shorts- and I don't like the leg jiggle).  

After speaking with the woman at the running store she mentioned "hippier, pear shaped women" can't wear the cute, short running shorts- because like I said, they roll and shift, and give everyone else a show.  Apparently anyone with thighs as well has this problem if the shorts hit at the wider part of your thigh, which is why it's best to go a bit longer.  If I wasn't training for a marathon and was told by more than a handful of people about my hips and thighs, I may take offense.  However, these big, strong legs are getting my through 26.2!  The new shorts worked like a charm.  I also used bodyglide for the first time tonight during my 6 miler and was cool and had no chafing!

Recently the humidity in Delaware has been oppressive.  I forgot that I didn't live in Florida.  It's like running through a tropical jungle, yuck.  I got home and was soaked from head to toe, again.  I've been over hydrating to avoid headaches and muscle stiffness, all I do lately is eat, sleep, and run.  You know it's bad when your pregnant co-worker in her 9th month says, "boy, you look tired today".  Only 2 months left, and I can regain my life.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment