Sunday, September 23, 2012

Week 10 of 18: 15 miles in 2:44:22

Well, I did it.  I ventured into the unknown and in my opinion, had a phenomenal run.  I now understand why runner's, well, run.  It was such an amazing feeling to prove myself wrong.  There are always people who thing you're nuts, but to prove yourself wrong is the best feeling in the world.  

I left the house around 7:15 and started running around 7:30.  Usually the first three miles I'm running through mental games and random aches and pains.  This is usually the point where I want to quit.  

I ran my normal short loop, then down and up a pretty hilly stretch nearby.  I knew there was a 7 mile loop that was part of the route I ran the past few weeks, but I never investigated.  I also had been told the hill on this road is never ending, and is worse than the dreaded hill in Manayunk for the Philly Marathon.  I figured if I could do this, I could do the hill at the marathon.  Looking ahead this mountain of a hill looked horrific.  Somehow as I was running it didn't seem as scary as it looked a half mile away.

I changed my fueling for this run a little bit.  I had 3 clif shot bloks every 4 miles and this really, really helped my run.  I also had my good ol' Camelbak with water, so I was good to go.  

The temperature this morning was in the low 50's, which is prime running weather.  I've always enjoyed running in the cold, I really enjoy running right after a snow- it's so peaceful and calm.  Since it was brisk I didn't end up needing any electrolyte tabs, and still had water left when I was done.

I ran the hilliest route of training today.  The elevation gain for today's 15 miles was 974.  I'm just excited I can run hills- BIG hills.  Once this marathon comes I'm going to be faster because of my hill training, and I can't wait!!

Best of all my 13 mile split was 2:22- 9 minutes less than my 13 miler two weeks ago.  Seriously, I went from 2:31 to 2:22 for my 13 mile time.  This was just the boost I needed to finish strong.  I finished running uphill in 2:44:22!!!!

As I was running my last mile, uphill, I decided I deserved a "snack".  So i continued running my 15 and ran to WaWa.  The benefits of living near farmland and WaWa, you have a scenic route and can run and get a drink.  I went into WaWa looking like some homeless, hiker woman.  I had on my gps watch, my camelbak, my iphone on my arm, and my running gear- I'm sure I was a sight.... and I definitely got some strange looks.  I then walked home.

Week 10 of 18...DONE!!! Still holding strong for my 5 hour marathon, and after today's run, it could happen!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment