Saturday, June 23, 2012

8 miles

Woke up at 6 today for a "glorious" 8 mile run.  Given the heat the past few days, I was scared- but we were also running at 7am.  Picked up my running buddy and headed to a 2.6 mile loop park, which already had a pretty packed parking lot at 7am (were other people as crazy as us)?

I didn't eat breakfast because I didn't want to be sick- opted for a strawberry banana gel instead.  That will be the first and last time I try that flavor- any banana flavored goo is just not good- ever.  We started off and I was feeling good for about the first 2 miles.  Then it happened, the ITB starting acting up, again- and it got hot, again.

The remaining 5.8 miles were a struggle to say the least- I was playing mind games the whole way.  "Well if that lady can run, I surely can run.  Oh that guy was walking before, and just passed me- so not cool" were some of the thoughts racing through my head.  I also brought along a peanut butter gel to take halfway through since the gels really seem to reduce my "running hangover" feeling later in the day. 

Mile 4 hit and I was just excited to eat my peanut butter gu (I'm a total fat kid at heart).  This is all that got me through my half, looking down and counting down the minutes on my watch till i could take another gel.  During my runs whatever it takes to get me through will work: thinking of water, a shower, nap, gels, or beer post run seem to do the trick.  I don't typically think of my sense of accomplishment or the runner's high.  During the run I'm usually pretty annoyed that I again, thought training for a race was a good idea.

So 7.8 miles are complete, I didn't really care to finish the remaining .2 today.  Today I questioned why I am running as my body ached and my skin burned.  Maybe later tonight I'll feel a greater sense of accomplishment.  Given that it was around 8:20am when I finished was accomplishment enough.  I just ran 7.8 miles while most people were asleep, boom!

And I realized my ITB is probably hurting because I need new shoes- can I find a money tree, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment