Thursday, June 14, 2012

It's the little things..

When I first started running it was strictly on the treadmill- so I could watch the time and the interesting gym rats.  As I started signing up for 5k's, I realized running outside was a must.  There is just a different runner's high so to speak, outside.  Taking in the weather (the good, bad, and ugly) and realizing you just ran x miles in the craziest sun, rain, snow, ice, and wind- is pretty fulfilling.


In between half training ending and marathon training beginning I refused to fall into a rut.  I've been averaging about 15 miles a week with my small run at about 6 miles (mind you, years ago this would've been the "long run").  Apparently a lot of runners going into some sort of depression after a race ended, so since I didn't want that to happen, I started to train, again.  hhmmppph


I don't do heat, and running in the heat is just a no-go.  I'd prefer the snow and ice to overheating.  I was on my 6 mile run at a 1.75 mile loop park.  Anyone running more than 1.75 miles you were bound to pass once, twice, or even 6 times.  Every single person you pass who is running smiles, waves, says hi.  There are always a few who ignore, but I write them off.  I won't allow a rude runner to ruin the reputation of all the awesome ones out there.  It was around 7am when I arrived to avoid said heat.  I kept passing the same 4 friendly faces and decided the heat was becoming an issue.  I had mentally shut down and decided a 5 mile run, would do.


I had checked out and planned to run another 1/2 mile and go home- until I passed the lady in the pink shirt.  We had passed each other about 7 times during the course of my run- each time looking like death and kind-of smirking because we had no energy left to smile.  I came around what I thought would be my last half mile and passed the lady in pink- who gave me a thumbs up!  Not only did I realize I was doing it, and someone else had congratulated me, but I really think God sent that woman into my last mile to get me moving.  At this point, whether or not any of the above actually happened- I decided I was doing it.  I was running the full 6, all because I got a thumbs up.


It's the little things in life that really matter, and the other day a simple thumbs up, was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment