Thursday, August 30, 2012

6 mile mid-week run in 1:04

Today's run was tough, really, really, really tough.  I'm just getting over being sick with some flu-like cold virus thing that everyone seems to have.  Last week I skipped two workouts because of it, and I slept a lot.  My two runs since were under my old time, but my chest was tight.

I did hot yoga today during lunch and was drained after that.  Knowing I had to run 6 tonight I drank a ton of water to rehydrate from yoga and to hydrate enough for tonight.  Looking back I didn't eat enough today to fuel two hours of exercise.

I came home and seriously debated running tonight, or just writing it off and pretending I was still super sick (which I'm not).  I took a nap for an hour because I was so beat- then the alarm went off.  I knew I had no choice, so I got ready and left.

With the light slowing starting to fade I really have to plan my runs now.  I found a sunrise and sunset calculator and found out the sun was setting at 7:36 p.m. tonight.  My only option was to start running before 6:30 p.m. tonight.  

The entire 6 miles was hard of my body.  I was sore from yoga, my chest was tight and it was hard to breathe, it appeared humid and this was the longest mid-week run I've done so far.  

Looking at the schedule I don't know what other runners do when it gets dark.  I'm training for this marathon completely solo and don't feel comfortable running alone at night, at all.  Actually a few people I know who have run marathon's were impressed I was doing it alone.  I guess aside from training for a marathon, training alone is a big deal?!  My mid-week runs only increase from here on out.  They start at 7 next week and increase to 10 during my 40 mile week, then start to taper. Ahh..  Working 8 hours a day and then running big mileage (guess this is what I signed up for).

I ran this 6 miler 4 minutes less than I ran 6 when I started.  So even though I walked so I could breathe, I still beat my first run by 4 minutes (and if I remember correctly, I didn't walk during that run).  Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment