Sunday, August 19, 2012

Week 5 of 18: 10 miles in 1:47:22

10 miles are complete.  Every training run beyond today is entering the unknown, and I'm not gonna lie- that's kinda scary.  The only other times I've run 10 miles was the past four years of Broad Street, and my final training run for my half marathon.

I've learned a lot this week:

Hydration has become absolutely necessary to function and have a great run.  So I went to a sporting goods store during the week and found this.  After trying it on and feeling like I had a holster on my back, and realizing that I wasn't double jointed in my shoulder's I wasn't sure what to do.  So I did what I normally do when buying new things, looked up the online reviews.  I immediately knew this was not a good purchase- so I returned it.  I was also pretty impressed with my shoulder's in this pic, but that's besides the point.



And then I bought a Camelbak online:


I have become "one of those runner's".  I used to see runner's early in the morning and late at night with all the gadgets and camelbak's and would think, "man, these people are serious".  Well I guess I've become one of those serious runner's- and I don't care how silly I look.  I had a great run today because I was running with 50oz of cold water and ice.  I'm also pretty excited because I love new workout "stuff".  It keeps training interesting.


Since I like to joke that I run to eat, it's funny that I am now buying in the mindset of eating to run.  I purchased the above earlier in the week after a 5 mile run.  What is happening to me- this is not normal!  Super healthy eating, here I am ready to go.  I also plan to make green monster smoothies everyday for breakfast mmm.


 Again, this whole running and eating adventure can be fun.  Last night while I was resting I had frozen yogurt with fruit, so delish.  I am also learning to relax, I have just been beat.  The night's before my run's I am actually enjoying relaxing and snacking- and feel absolutely no guilt.  I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.


 
I've been reading about a lot of runner's using swedish fish in place of gels because of the cost, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  Looking at the back of the package no wonder, they are straight carbs, sugar, and a bit of sodium.  AND so much cheaper.  One gel is usually $1.40 and I need at least 2 per run going forward.  Swedish fish gave me just the burst of energy I needed- SUCCESS!

So besides what I learned this week I did run 10 miles today.  I was up at 6, and took a shot of pepto and grabbed my cooler with chocolate milk and coconut water and was out the door.  Side note on the pepto:  I have a super sensitive stomach and taking a shot of pepto calms any craziness that could happen during runs.  

The first three miles my legs felt really tight and I kept stopping to stretch.  My Camelbak was a lifesaver aside from listening to ice shaking around.  After I ate my first few swedish fish 3 miles in, I felt better.  I must've just been hungry, imagine that.  I was getting sick of the loop at the park so I decided to go exploring and ran another 3 miles on the road and through neighborhood's and streets. 

I ran back into the park and ran the remaining few miles at the park.  My ITB starting getting really angry around mile 7 and I think due to all of the hills and up's and down's of the road.  I had to walk/run the remaining 1/2 mile.  

I did all of this in the same time it took me to run Broad Street the first year (with no stopping, hills, or stretch breaks).  I almost wish I could've run Broad today- I know it would've been a lot faster.

So here it is 5 week's in.  I can't believe how fast this is going by- only 13 weeks to go.  November 18th here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment