Saturday, August 11, 2012

Week 4 of 18: 9 miles in 1:38:22

This point marks a full month of training!! The 100 day mark passed sometime last week.  Less then 100 days till my very first marathon!

I have been really trying to stick to my healthy eating, and when I snack (which I do a lot), I've been grabbing fruit.  It's amazing how hand in hand training and nutrition are.  I had another great week squeezing in a bodypump class, running 2 3-milers and a 4 miler in under 10 minute pace, and my 9 miler today.  Tomorrow's plan is going to be a nice leisurely swim- leisurely aka I may steal a child's noodle.

I like to complete my long runs around 8:30 before the sun starts heating up.  I woke up at 6 and grabbed peanut butter gels and water and was off.  On the way I had one gel and planned to take the other during the run.  I started my run around 6:42 (earlier than I'm up for work).  I took the slow and steady approach today.  Not so much the "slow and steady wins the race", more-so the slow and steady finishes the run.  I intentionally wanted to stay at a conversational pace so I was running between 10:30-11 minute miles.  This was a good place, considering the humidity has been gross here, and I felt like I was running through a sauna- the entire time.  

I had water in my car and decided to run to the car twice for a water break.  Best idea EVER.  Based on the weather and needing to stop for water, and feeling soo much better after- I need to invest in a water belt/camelbak/running bottle asap.

Miles 1-6 were good, until the end of mile 4 where I bonked.  There were no big mind games today, just thinking about food.  The entire time I kept thinking about my awesome post run smoothie:



Around mile 6 I took my gel after a water break and started feeling like I could do this, and for some reason felt great.  I think the runner's high kicked in at this point and I felt like I was gliding- and the pain was nowhere to be found.  There was a nice breeze and I only had 3 miles left.  I also love the walkers during the 6:45-8:30 time frame at the park- they are super friendly and make me feel that much more accomplished!

Finally finished the run in humidity at the hilly park in 1:38:22!  

I always stop at gas stations on the way home, usually for snacks/water/chocolate milk.  What did I buy today....



Yes- I "treated" myself to a gallon of water.  This is insanity- not training to run 26.2!

Week 4 of 18 done!!  14 weeks to go, wohoooooooo! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment