Saturday, August 4, 2012

Week 3 of 18: 5 miles in 51:01


I'm always excited for drop-back weeks in running.  These usually fall somewhere after 2-3 weeks of increased mileage.  Like I said, I always excited- until I do these runs.  Something about dropping back mileage makes me think it will just be that much easier.  Well it's not and today's drop-back had an additional element, humidity.  For those of you who aren't familiar with humidity (please clue me in to where you live), it's nothing you want while running.

I woke up at 6:30am, again (15 weeks till I can sleep in on a Saturday).  I decided instead of eating I would just take a gel, peanut butter to be exact.  I have a sweet tooth, and these gels make me feel like I'm cheating on a diet (even though I'm not on a diet, never have been- and can logistically eat almost anything in moderation with the amount of running I'll be doing).  

I got to the park around 7 with a few other cars around.  I turned on the gps watch and let is search for satellites; put on my sneaks; adjusted my iphone and arm band, and began. 

My gps watch gives me the average pace per mile, so I was aiming for straight 10 minute miles.  I've been starting too fast lately, and just need to stop and stick to my slow and steady.

About halfway through I had an old man run up to me and ask my pace- he too had a gps watch on.  I told him I was holding steady at 10, and he informed me his watch said 11 and that he felt like he was going slow.  At this point, I knew I was running at a 10 minute pace.  I didn't have the heart to tell him our watches average the mile pace, and I had passed him a few minutes ago until he ran up to check his pace- explaining his "slower" time.

At this point I was soaked in sweat and just kept on running.  Finally 51:01 minutes later my 5 miles was complete.  I was a sweaty, hot, overheating, dripping mess- and never felt better.  Now I just have to mentally prepare for an actual long run next Saturday of 9 miles.

Week 3 of 18 done.  Marathon in 15 weeks- and I'm going for a PR (which won't be difficult since this is my first)!

Yippppeeee for marathon training alone- proof that you can do anything if you put your mind to it!! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment