Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hot Yoga

I have always been against yoga.  I have a few yoga dvd's and I mentally can't "waste" my time taking yoga at the gym, I'd rather spin or run.

I know many people swear by it, and I've heard it really does help running, but no thank you.  Well, until today.  First let me discuss my pre-conceived notions of yoga...this is what I imagine:



I just don't think we are too similar, maybe that's my issue.

My job offers yoga twice a week and one of my coworker's finally convinced me to go.  I packed my bag with yoga attire and grabbed my yoga mat (which is more for show at home), and mentally prepped for this.

I went into the room where yoga is and immediately was smacked in the face by the temperature, it was hot- and I didn't know how hot.  I don't do heat so the fact nobody mentioned it, kind of worried me- I didn't need to pass out after falling out of every yoga pose.

I am very competitive and if I'm not good at something, I usually practice or avoid it.  This is my issue with yoga, I'm just not good.  This was partially confirmed during the entire hour of yoga.  I think I looked at the clock more during yoga, than I do while running- this was a true mental challenge.  I did manage to complete the whole hour and wasn't sure how I felt when I left.  I just didn't get that awesome feeling during yoga, that I get from running.

About an hour later I must admit, I felt pretty good.  I felt so good in fact, that I officially signed up for yoga.  I'm really hoping this will make up for my lack of stretching before and after running and will alleviate any future ITB issues.

So instead of looking like the above picture, this is my inspiration:



Oh, and I found out later- the room was 90 degrees.

This whole marathon adventure is about firsts, so bring on the yoga.



No comments:

Post a Comment